- Groceries – I’ve been cooking a lot and have even had a few friends over, instead of going out to eat.
- Clothing – I bought a pair of winter boots, 2 pairs of shoes during the MySpringShoes sale, and also a pair of skinny jeans – that (finally!) fit!
- Entertainment – I bought an extra pair of movie tickets from my sister at a discount for use in March/April
- Transportation – I forgot to budget in for an oil change and buying washer fluid ~$60.
- Toiletres/Grooming – This was a bad month. I got a haircut, serum and succumbed to the Revlon sale at Rexall and Shoppers Drugmart.
- Gifts – BF and I split gifts for weddings 25/75. But we decided this the day of, and so it wasn’t in my original budget. I also got a few baby books for my friend who is expecting! (You guys should really check the Baby Owner Manual).
- Travel – Plane tickets for a spontaneous trip to Boston with BF in March.
- Career – Forgot about the sitting fee for my professional licensing exam.
I think my only saving grace (can I still say that when I am >$700 over budget?) is that I stayed within my eating out budget!🙂
February Net Worth
I hope that I budget better for March!
February Goal Recap
- Update my resume – check! I’ve completed the first draft and am asking my friends to look over it.
- Prepare to file my income taxes – check! I’ve completed a first draft (by hand) of my income taxes this year. I’m expecting a refund of ~$1,600.
- Re-balance my Portfolio – pass. I’ve figured out my current asset allocation, but I want to move my RRSP money out of my current ING and my Manulife account to save on fees. I am working on the allocation of those funds to my e-series funds.
- Make my shopping list– pass. I made a list, but I haven’t published it, yet. It’s long.
- No buying make-up – EPIC FAIL!! I was really good up until the last week. Rexall’s sale on Revlon products just got me really good. The good news is, that I have enough lip glosses and lip butters to last me until next year.
- Walk for 30 minutes, 3 days a week – fail! I started doing this with a co-worker during our lunch. But when the weather got cold, or work got busy, I flaked out.
- Get my credit report – check! I got my free Equifax credit report and I paid $9.95 for my credit score. Score is coming up!🙂
On-going Goals Recap
- Pack my lunch everyday – check!
- Eat more fruits – pass… I’ve been having smoothies in the morning, and packing an orange with me for lunch, until this week.
- Exercise 3 times a week – fail!
- Get off the computer by 10pm – fail! I got off the computer by 10pm, but then, I’d check my iPod.
- Finish a book – fail! I’m almost halfway through Jean Chretian’s autobiography. I’m really enjoying it and hope to finish next month.
- $0 Budget – check! I tallied up both my expenses and savings and figured out how much I could allocate to my TFSA.
I think I have too many goals. I must prioritize which ones are most important and have 3 monthly goals, and 3 ongoing goals. Seeing all those red fails are getting me down and discouraged.
Whew. That was tough. Readers, how has your February?