One of my big time and money saving tips for food is batch cooking ahead of time. I usually cook a big, huge meal once a week for the rest of the weekdays. Then I package them in tupperware (freeze the extra’s, if any), and eat the portions through out the week for lunch and dinners. This works if you don’t mind eating the same thing the entire week. If not, then try freezing some portions for next time.
In my last post, I talked about all my crazy concoctions :). This is my story of how I got a bit of “spa” and dinner from my little container of sour cream.
When I got my little container of 14% sour cream for my lactic acid mask, I quickly realized that I wouldn’t be able to use all my sour cream on my face before it went bad. I didn’t want my sour cream to go to waste, so I dug around for some recipes.
My go-to butter chicken recipe used yogurt, but I tried substituted sour cream and crossed my fingers. It turned out creamier than the yogurt version, but still yummy.
I used drumsticks because they were on sale, and I grabbed a bunch of tomatoes off the clearance rack, so this was a really cheap and yummy dinner 🙂
Total cost of ingredients: $7
Total servings: 7
Cost per serving: $1.08
I just serve my curry over a bed of rice and voila~ I am not a huge fan of basmati rice and would rather have my Jasmine rice, anyway. Feel free to substitute rice with any grain of your choosing.
- 7 chicken drumsticks
- 8 Roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 medium onions (chopped)
- 5 tablespoons of sour cream
- 3 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of tomatoes paste
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp of ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- Wash the drumsticks and set aside.
- Add half the oil in a dutch over (or put) and sear drumsticks, and remove.
- Add in onions and cook until softened.
- Add in garlic and spices and cook together for a few minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and tomato paste and cover.
- Add in chicken and cook covered for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Mix a bit of cooked sauce with the sour cream in a separate bowl.
- Turn off heat and slowly incorporate sour cream into pot of curry.
- Spoon over rice and enjoy!
If you want to be really efficient, you can apply the sour cream and honey mask and then make the butter chicken 😉